Friday, March 30, 2012

restrict to localhost only

I want to restrict the database to localhost only. I did what past postings
suggested (http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...kb;en-us;814130),
which was to go into SQL Server Network Utility and disable all protocols.
After doing that, I restarted the SQL Server service and also restarted the
computer). However, I was still able to connect to the database in Query
Analyzer from another machine.
Has anyone been able to successfully restrict to localhost? I am using SQL
2000 Developer Edition w/ SP3a, Windows XP Pro. Thanks for any help.One curious observation is that even though TCP/IP has been disabled, if I
remove the TCP/IP library file (C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
Server\MSSQL\Binn\ssnetlib.dll), SQL Server service will not start. Which
indicates to me that SQL Server is still loading the TCP/IP protocol even
though I have it disabled.|||After disabling all the protocols did you look at the SQL Server errorlog
to verify that it was listening only on shared memory?
Rand
This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers no rights.|||"Dean" <noreply@.fakeaddress.com> wrote in message
news:bv943l$rom$1@.news01.intel.com...
quote:

> I want to restrict the database to localhost only. I did what past

postings
quote:

> suggested

(http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...kb;en-us;814130),
quote:

> which was to go into SQL Server Network Utility and disable all protocols.
> After doing that, I restarted the SQL Server service and also restarted

the
quote:

> computer). However, I was still able to connect to the database in Query
> Analyzer from another machine.
> Has anyone been able to successfully restrict to localhost? I am using SQL
> 2000 Developer Edition w/ SP3a, Windows XP Pro. Thanks for any help.

"Rand Boyd [MSFT]" rboyd@.onlinemicrosoft.com wrote in message
quote:

> After disabling all the protocols did you look at the SQL Server errorlog
> to verify that it was listening only on shared memory?

I just looked now in Management > SQL Server Logs. Here's are some key
lines:
Using 'SSNETLIB.DLL' version '8.0.766'.
SQL server listening on 127.0.0.1: 1433.
SQL server listening on xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: 1433.
SQL server listening on TCP, Shared Memory.
This seems to indicate that it is not only listening on shared memory. But
when I go to Properties > Network Configuration, there are no enabled
protocols! And I have restarted SQL service as well as the computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment